Storage : Worms that you don't want to reproduce can be kept in a closed container (with holes drilled in it) in the refrigerator. Lay a paper towel on top to prevent condensation. At 38ºF, or even 45-50ºF they will last along time (months) in a semi-dormant mode. One source says larvae can stay alive 80 days at 23ºF. They will not pupate in the refrigerator. See more information on storage .
Edwin Gómez-Ramirez, Javier F. Borbón, Jaime F. González, Pedro R. Eslava Mocha, Amutha Chinnaiah, P. Subramanian, Leslie Guzmán Beltran, Paula Esquinas, Estefany L. García, Gina P. Sierra, Hernán Hurtado Giraldo, Wilson Ramirez Duarte, Dang Thi Hoang Oanh, Truong Quoc Phu, Miriam Alcivar, Diego Alejandro, Acacia Alcivar-Warren (2015) ADVERSE HEALTH EFFECTS TO FISH CAUSED BY ENDOCRINE DISRUPTING CHEMICALS (EDCs) – LITERATURE REVIEW AND PRELIMINARY RESULTS ON PATTERNS OF NEURONAL ACTIVATION IN THE OLFACTORY BULBS OF WHITE CACHAMA Piaractus brachypomus AND HORMONAL CHANGES IN TILAPIA Oreochromis sp. CAUSED BY EXPOSURES TO COMMERCIAL PRESENTATIONS OF GLYPHOSATE. Aquaculture America 2015 https:///meetings/?Id=35068
When I designed my laphet experiment, I had to consider that the conditions for processing laphet in Denmark are rather different from those in Burma. Much to my sorrow, the lab context did not really allow me to ferment the laphet in bamboo vats in the ground up to a year… Also, I could not be certain if wild fermentation would start based on the LAB found naturally on the leaves, as it does with the original laphet. I needed to be sure that it is the LAB fermenting the laphet and that some other bacteria will not take over. Therefore, I decided to inoculate the leaves with various sources of LAB, creating five different versions of laphet in each batch. For the different sources of LAB, I used whey strained from syrnet mælk (A) and yogurt (B) as well as some skyrkultur (C) and fermented bee pollen (D) that I mixed with filtered tap water. In addition, I also immersed the leaves in salt brine (E) to create an environment favourable for the LAB. Because the beech leaves gave out enough liquid, I was able to immerse the leaves in their own liquid and thus create a wild fermentation, similarly to the original laphet . The currant and birch leaves were too dry for the same process.